lgging problem

Julian Pace Ross julian.paceross at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:11:38 GMT 2006

 Hi,

When I have my rsync daemon running, I get all log messages in a custom
format in the file /var/log/rsyncd.log.
This is very convenient as I can cron a script to grep it and mail me a
summary of activity every day and then create a fresh file.

I have now switched to using rsync over ssh, so I stopped the rsync daemon,
and every user has an authorised ssh key and a *custom* rsyncd.conf (with
only his or her modules) in each home directory. Each home directory also
has a secrets file for the modules of that user.

It seems to be working fine overall.
I have lost the ability to chroot, but that I understand and accept.
What is bothering me is that I lost the ability to write in any file other
than syslog (/var/log/messages), so my rsync logs are interleaved with all
the system logs .. cannot create a new file everyday etc...
I have tried several options, but rsync over ssh just wants to log into
syslog.
Is it possible to have a custom log file as with the daemon running?

Thanks
 Julian