lgging problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 31 16:56:26 GMT 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:11:38PM +0200, Julian Pace Ross wrote:
> What is bothering me is that I lost the ability to write in any file other
> than syslog (/var/log/messages)

A single-use daemon can write its own logfile; it just needs write-
permissions on the file, or it will fallback on using syslog.  You
may want to have each user log to their own file.

> so my rsync logs are interleaved with all
> the system logs .. cannot create a new file everyday etc...

Syslog has options to route particular messages to particular files.  I
use the rsync daemon parameter "syslog facility = user" combined with the
stock syslog setting of "user.*   -/var/log/user.log" to ensure that the
rsync daemon messages end up in /var/log/user.log.  You could create a
similar setup to have the message end up in whatever file you like.