using -e syntax and remote rsnyc server

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Mar 7 00:01:14 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:25:53PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> I get a message from ssh, "bad escape character 'ssh -l username'".

Using one extra -v will show you the ssh command that rsync is running,
and that will allow you to test it outside of rsync.  Then (assuming you
get the same error), you can ask the ssh folks what is going wrong.
Perhaps you have an error in your .ssh/config file?

> My goal is to use rsync tunneled over ssh to connect to a remote rsync
> daemon.

You won't accomplish that with the rsync syntax you mentioned.  See
method 4 on this page:

    http://rsync.samba.org/firewall.html

You can use the method mentioned there with the target system being
"localhost" if there is no separate middle system needed.