using -e syntax and remote rsnyc server

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Mon Mar 6 23:25:53 GMT 2006

I have setup rsync to run as a deamon exporting one module named home.

when I attempt to use the rsync syntax specified on
http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/rsync.html

as follows:

rsync -av -e "ssh -l ssh-user" rsync-user at host::module /dest

I get a message from ssh, "bad escape character 'ssh -l username'".

This is an ssh error message, but I am not putting any escape
characters in.

My goal is to use rsync tunneled over ssh to connect to a remote rsync
daemon.

I've looked into a backgrounded ssh session with port forwarding, but
it seems rather brittle.

Any pointers on making a secure connection to rsync in daemon mode
would be appreciated.

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257