rsync: failed to hard-link error message

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jul 8 14:37:25 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:43:27PM -0700, Brett Hamilton wrote:
> rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/agpgart
> with dev/agpgart: Invalid argument (22)

The message "Invalid argument" is from your OS, and it looks like it is
being generated when trying to hard-link a device.  I'd suggest trying
to hard-link a device manually to see if it works:

    ln /dev/audio /dev/audiotesting123

If that fails, make sure that the CAN_HARDLINK_SPECIAL define in
config.h is not defined (just comment it out if it is, and rebuild).

> /Users/foo/bin/rsync -avH --link-dest=/Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0 \
> --numeric-ids --exclude=/proc --delete -e ssh root at vanguard:/ backup.new

Another potential way to avoid the errors would be to add --exclude=/dev
to your options (as long as you don't require the backing up of your
device files).