rsync: failed to hard-link error message

Brett Hamilton open at simple.be
Fri Jul 7 21:43:27 GMT 2006

Dear Rsync,

I am seeing the following rsync error messages and I am wondering if it is
a sign of trouble, expected behavior, or a bug:

rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/agpgart
with dev/agpgart: Invalid argument (22)
rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/apm_bios
with dev/apm_bios: Invalid argument (22)
rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/atibm
with dev/atibm: Invalid argument (22)
rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/audio
with dev/audio: Invalid argument (22)
rsync: failed to hard-link /Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0/dev/audio1
with dev/audio1: Invalid argument (22)
...etc...

Here's the situation:

I'm doing snapshot backups of up entire debian linux filesystems onto an
external disk that is attached to my Mac Mini (running Mac OS 10.4.7).
I've compiled the the latest version of rsync from source (2.6.8) on the
Mac, and the linux boxes are running the version of rsync (2.6.4) that
ships with Debian Sarge. I'm doing the backup over ssh and using the
link-dest option to create the hard-linked snapshots.

I don't see this error when I make the backups from debian to debian (even
with rsync 2.6.8 compiled from source on the linux box at the the
receiving end). Also, on the Mac, I have the external drive mounted with
"ignore permissions on the volume" turned off, so I have real unix
permissions on the disk. I'm running rsync as root on both ends, in order
to create all the permissions and user/groups structure etc.

To create the initial directory structure (works fine)

/Users/foo/bin/rsync -avH --numeric-ids --exclude=/proc --delete \ -e ssh
root at vanguard:/ backup.0

To create the hard-linked snapshot backup: (produces the error message)

/Users/foo/bin/rsync -avH --link-dest=/Volumes/backups/vanguard/backup.0 \
--numeric-ids --exclude=/proc --delete -e ssh root at vanguard:/ backup.new

Thanks for your help. --Brett