Initialising a mirror

Cyrille Bollu Cyrille.Bollu at fedasil.be
Wed Oct 19 09:34:40 GMT 2005

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

But what do you mean by "slow rsync"? Do you mean limiting bandwith? I
think this will not be an option with 100Gb of data to synchronise...

However, I like your idea with the LAN: I think I will bring my mirror to
the remote site :-)

Just for the record, I didn't made the standard mistake, having things one
directory level off from where they should be.

I was hoping doing a "scp -rp" would preserve all the necessary
information needed by rsync but apparently not... Maybe I should use tar?

Regards,

Cyrille

<Tony at ServaCorp.com> a écrit sur 19/10/2005 11:00:07 :

> [...]
> rather than eavesdroppers.
> The internet connection(s) are ocassionally flaky to non-existent,
> and everything needs to assume
> that they will chose the most inopportune moment to do something I don't
like.
> Essentially the stunt is that /home/rsync-foo is rsync'd with other
> such over slow and bad connections.
> With bad internet I've got (not shown) multiple off-site backups AND
> the ability to bring them all upt-to-date
> if there is a connection (any, not necessarily the preferred -- some
> connect, some don't connect)
>

> ---Timing depends on what is different.  Typically this one is about
> 10 to 15 minutes  (about 10G) total.
> If large MySql tables are rearranged, tends to take rather longer.
> real    192m41.906s
>

> real    12m18.512s
> sent 13750 bytes  received 7577551 bytes  10279.35 bytes/sec
> total size is 14013850399  speedup is 1846.04
> Tue Oct 18 07:28:00 CDT 2005
> rsync-sjs-dwg
> [root at wf1 /root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rsync client
> # staged backup
> time rsync -a /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg-1bk/
>
> time rsync -avz --progress --partial --timeout=1750 --password-
> file=/etc/rsync.secrets/rsync-sjs-dwg \
>         rsync-sjs-dwg at sjs::rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/
> date; echo rsync-sjs-dwg
>
> ----rsync server   (actually is an intermediate, not the primary)
> This is an extra "junk" computer with a decent hard drive.
> This serves to get a fast
> # etc/rsyncd.conf
> pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
> [rsync-sjs-dwg]
>         comment = backup of sjs dwg
>         path = /home/rsync-sjs-dwg
>         use chroot = true
>         read only = false
>         list = false
>         uid = root
>         gid = root
>         auth users = rsync-sjs-dwg
>         secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>         strict modes = true
>         hosts allow = 10.0.0.1 pete-162 wf
>         hosts deny = *.*.*.*
> ---rsync "client"  (This is a PRIMARY)
> [root at sys001 root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/bash
> # rsync-sjs-dwg  SJS_Drawings/ title/
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/OPENED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg  --timeout=750 \
>         /tmp/rsync/OPENED       rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> for name in title SJS_Drawings ; do
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=750 \
>         /home/dwg/$name         rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> done
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/CLOSED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg  --timeout=750 \
>         /tmp/rsync/CLOSED       rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/

Bollu