Initialising a mirror

Tony at ServaCorp.com Tony at ServaCorp.com
Wed Oct 19 10:24:21 GMT 2005

"slow rsync"    limited by bandwidth (or whatever) compared to....
FAST (LAN), SLOW (Internet), FAST (LAN)  from "pointA" to "pointB"

100Gb of data    -- how much/many of what is changing?
How many files?  How big? (ranges)  where changed?
How many (major) directories?
What kind of window and how big?
What are the preferable failure modes?
    You do NOT have a choice of whether it fails.
    You DO have a choice of which way it fails.

Looks like -p of scp preserves times and modes.  ?? owner and group ??

Probably worth doing a fast look to see just what it is that you actually
have on both ends.
Intentions and reality quite often manage to do a disconnect.
You tend to get better answers if you state what you did (cut&paste)
as opposed to what you thought you did.
Generally when you have troubles they are not the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cyrille Bollu [mailto:Cyrille.Bollu at fedasil.be]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:35 AM
To: Tony at ServaCorp.com
Cc: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: Initialising a mirror

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

But what do you mean by "slow rsync"? Do you mean limiting bandwith? I think
this will not be an option with 100Gb of data to synchronise...

However, I like your idea with the LAN: I think I will bring my mirror to
the remote site :-)

Just for the record, I didn't made the standard mistake, having things one
directory level off from where they should be.

I was hoping doing a "scp -rp" would preserve all the necessary information
needed by rsync but apparently not... Maybe I should use tar?

Regards,

Cyrille

<Tony at ServaCorp.com> a écrit sur 19/10/2005 11:00:07 :

> [...]
> rather than eavesdroppers.
> The internet connection(s) are ocassionally flaky to non-existent,
> and everything needs to assume
> that they will chose the most inopportune moment to do something I don't
like.
> Essentially the stunt is that /home/rsync-foo is rsync'd with other
> such over slow and bad connections.
> With bad internet I've got (not shown) multiple off-site backups AND
> the ability to bring them all upt-to-date
> if there is a connection (any, not necessarily the preferred -- some
> connect, some don't connect)
>

> ---Timing depends on what is different.  Typically this one is about
> 10 to 15 minutes  (about 10G) total.
> If large MySql tables are rearranged, tends to take rather longer.
> real    192m41.906s
>

> real    12m18.512s
> sent 13750 bytes  received 7577551 bytes  10279.35 bytes/sec
> total size is 14013850399  speedup is 1846.04
> Tue Oct 18 07:28:00 CDT 2005
> rsync-sjs-dwg
> [root at wf1 /root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/sh
>
> rsync client
> # staged backup
> time rsync -a /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg-1bk/
>
> time rsync -avz --progress --partial --timeout=1750 --password-
> file=/etc/rsync.secrets/rsync-sjs-dwg \
>         rsync-sjs-dwg at sjs::rsync-sjs-dwg/* /home/rsync-sjs-dwg/
> date; echo rsync-sjs-dwg
>
> ----rsync server   (actually is an intermediate, not the primary)
> This is an extra "junk" computer with a decent hard drive.
> This serves to get a fast
> # etc/rsyncd.conf
> pid file = /etc/rsyncd.pid
> [rsync-sjs-dwg]
>         comment = backup of sjs dwg
>         path = /home/rsync-sjs-dwg
>         use chroot = true
>         read only = false
>         list = false
>         uid = root
>         gid = root
>         auth users = rsync-sjs-dwg
>         secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>         strict modes = true
>         hosts allow = 10.0.0.1 pete-162 wf
>         hosts deny = *.*.*.*
> ---rsync "client"  (This is a PRIMARY)
> [root at sys001 root]# cat rsync-sjs-dwg
> #!/bin/bash
> # rsync-sjs-dwg  SJS_Drawings/ title/
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/OPENED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg  --timeout=750 \
>         /tmp/rsync/OPENED       rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> for name in title SJS_Drawings ; do
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg --timeout=750 \
>         /home/dwg/$name         rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/
> done
> mkdir -p /tmp/rsync ; echo `hostname` > /tmp/rsync/CLOSED
> rsync -a --password-file=/etc/rsync.secrets/sjs-dwg  --timeout=750 \
>         /tmp/rsync/CLOSED       rsync-sjs-dwg at 10.0.0.170::rsync-sjs-dwg/

Bollu