Two Questions

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 16:04:28 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:33:25PM -0400, Nathan Bullock wrote:
> First: What is the advantage of using the rsync daemon vs just rsync
> over ssh?

One advantage is using less CPU due to the lack of encryption.  Another
advantage is the ability to allow anonymous or limited-use connections
without giving out any logins (though it is possible to restrict an ssh
login if you're very careful in your configuration).  There are also
features of daemon mode, such as named modules and log-file appending,
that you can make use of in daemon mode (see the manpage for the
rsyncd.conf file).

> Here is what I mean. As I understand remote shells they can be used
> for executing commands on a remote machine, but the program already
> has to be there for this to work.

Yes, rsync needs to already be on the remote machine for it to work.  If
it is not there yet, you could use something like scp to copy rsync (if
you have an executable compatible with the remote machine).