hanging problem on cygwin

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jul 28 09:42:50 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:51:34PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> My understanding was that the next two approaches are identical wrt to
> the protocol, as in both, the client will connect to the rsync server
> over tcp/ip instead of pipes

No.  Please refer to the just-updated manpage on the web which should
hopefully make this area clearer:

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html

Look for the adjacent sections "CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC DAEMON" and
"USING RSYNC-DAEMON FEATURES VIA A REMOTE-SHELL CONNECTION".  See also
the --rsh option for a brief mention of how it interacts with daemon-
mode command-line syntax.

> rsync: unable to open configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or directory

A single-use "daemon" server looks for the config file in the home-dir
of the remote user.

> Another reason for my confusion is the same 3rd method, "RUNNING AN
> RSYNC SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM" is described differently in
> the man page for rsyncd.conf.

Yes, that's an error.  I've removed the talk of client-oriented options
from the rsyncd.conf manpage (which should only be talking about daemon-
oriented options).