hanging problem on cygwin

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Thu Jul 28 08:53:06 GMT 2005

On Wed 27 Jul 2005, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

> I am now more confused, could you please clarify something? There are
> three separate sections in the rsync man page called:
>
> CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM
> RUNNING AN RSYNC SERVER
> RUNNING AN RSYNC SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM
>
> I am now clear that the first approach is what is causing the rsync to
> hang (because it is going through buggy cygwin pipes), and I agree
> that I should avoid it. My understanding was that the next two
> approaches are identical wrt to the protocol, as in both, the client
> will connect to the rsync server over tcp/ip instead of pipes (no
> remote shell involved). But you were saying that the 3rd one also
> involves using pipes, just like the 1st one, right? Could you please
> confirm again? Doesn't the below from man rsync page mean otherwise?

Well, the description of the 3rd is "... OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM",
so you're wrong in assuming "(no remote shell involved)". Using a remote
shell will of course imply pipes...

>        From the user's perspective, using rsync in this way  is  the  same  as
>        using it to connect to an rsync server, except that you must explicitly
>        set the remote shell program on the command  line  with  --rsh=COMMAND.
>        (Setting RSYNC_RSH in the environment will not turn on this functional-
>        ity.)
> <<<<

You're missing the "From the user's perspective". the syntax and
behaviour is the same as when connecting to an rsync server, but under
the hood remote shells and pipes are involved now.

Paul Slootman