hanging problem on cygwin

Hari Krishna Dara haridara at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:52:13 GMT 2005

On 7/28/05, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:51:34PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> > My understanding was that the next two approaches are identical wrt to
> > the protocol, as in both, the client will connect to the rsync server
> > over tcp/ip instead of pipes
>
> No.  Please refer to the just-updated manpage on the web which should
> hopefully make this area clearer:
>
>     http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html
>
> Look for the adjacent sections "CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC DAEMON" and
> "USING RSYNC-DAEMON FEATURES VIA A REMOTE-SHELL CONNECTION".  See also
> the --rsh option for a brief mention of how it interacts with daemon-
> mode command-line syntax.
>
> > rsync: unable to open configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or directory
>
> A single-use "daemon" server looks for the config file in the home-dir
> of the remote user.
>
> > Another reason for my confusion is the same 3rd method, "RUNNING AN
> > RSYNC SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM" is described differently in
> > the man page for rsyncd.conf.
>
> Yes, that's an error.  I've removed the talk of client-oriented options
> from the rsyncd.conf manpage (which should only be talking about daemon-
> oriented options).
>
> ..wayne..

Thanks to you and Paul Slootman for clarifying this issue. So
basically, there is no meaning for specifying --daemon along with
--rsh to start-up a single-use daemon to connection over rsync port at
the remote machine, but it actully would have been useful
funcationlity to have (avoiding a manual startup and shutdown of the
rsync server).

Hari