Rsync 2.6.3 not releasing memory under Mandrake 10 Official

Jason Cox jason.cox at multiskilled.com.au
Tue Oct 5 07:38:42 GMT 2004

Hello,
	I have been having trouble with a Mandrake 10 Server.
When I copy from one server to another I find that on completion of the
Rsync command that the system still reports back that the memory is in use
( aprox 1 gig ). I have installed 1.5 gig of ram into the server and it made
no difference. On the latest occasion I dropped back to single user and It
didn't release the memory. There doesn't appear to be any entry's under
/proc for Rsync or the high  memory use. The only solution I have is to
reboot the server  each time a Rsync task is run.
	This problem also existed with the version of Rsync that shipped with
Mandrake 10.

Server specs

Athlon XP 2400+
1.5 Gig ram
340 gig HD
100Mbit Ethernet
2.6.3-7 Mandrake kernel ( UP-enterprise)

I can supply further information if required

Regards

Jason Cox
System Administrator

Multiskilled Resources Australia Pty Ltd

ph	02 4908 0000 (office)
ph	02 4908 0015 (direct)
mob	0423 600 156
fx	02 4942 4125