group change causing failure

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Oct 5 05:37:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:06:01PM -0500, Joe Eiler wrote:
> I just compiled 2.6.3 and am trying to get it to run on linux 2.6.8.1
> kernel with a more or less fedora core2 environment.

I've tested 2.6.3 under a debian sarge setup using a linux 2.6.8.1
kernel.  The only changes I made in your test case were to use inetd
instead of xinetd, and to use "nogroup" instead of "nobody" for the
group (which is a known difference between debian and fedora).  I
couldn't get rsync to fail.

So, you should first check for messages from rsyncd in your syslog to
see if rsync is exiting with an error or dying.  You migh also try
running the rsync daemon without using xinetd (just run rsync --daemon
on its own with the xinetd setup turned off).  If rsync is crashing, you
should enable core dumps (either "rsync --daemon" from a shell where you
have typed "ulimit -c unlimted", or put that command into a script that
runs "rsync --daemon" and run that script from xinetd).