rsyncX hangs on Mac OS X

240vac at earthlink.net 240vac at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 22 21:12:30 GMT 2004

I am attempting to backup the Users directory on my desktop running OS
X 10.3.6. I am backing up to Jaguar Server 10.2.8. I am using RsyncX
version 2.1 on both systems. RsyncX Server is set up to run on both
systems however in this instance the Rsync client is my desktop and
server is Panther Server.

When I kick off an RsyncX session, RsyncX will run for a while, then
stop part of the way through, never completing. There does not appear
to be any error reporting that I can tell. It was writing out a log
earlier but does not seem to be any longer.

Here is my command:

time sudo /usr/local/bin/rsync --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync
-acvvvv --delete --eahfs --progress --stats -e ssh
"/Volumes/MacHD/Users/"
"user at XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/Volumes/MacHD/BACKUPS/Users"

This is the file that RSYNC halts on:
make_file(userMe/Desktop/Virtual PC 6/Virtual PC
6/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Virtual PC
Help/01.Tour/02.Toolbar.X,*,2)

#################
##rsync.conf:
#################

[hostname:/etc] admin# cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
hosts allow = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
log file = /var/log/rsync.log
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
read only = no