rsync --rsh not reading .ssh/config

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Nov 12 00:47:32 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:01:30PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> When you use a double colon "host::", then you're telling ssh to connect
> directly to the rsync daemon running on that host using port 873. In
> other words, ssh does not come into the equation, so it's pretty logical
> that the .ssh config isn't being read...

That used to be true, but rsync has supported daemon mode over ssh for
quite a while now, so using both -e (--rsh) and "::" is fine.

> On Thu 11 Nov 2004, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > $ rsync -a --rsh="ssh -F $HOME/.ssh/config -i $HOME/.ssh/mysqldump" remotehost::
> > unknown host: remotehost

It looks like this command didn't even connect to the remote host, so
that would explain why the access times on the ssh files didn't get
updated.  I'd suggest looking into name server issues or something like
that.  Also, specify another -v so you can see the exact command that
rsync is running -- you can try running that command manually, and that
may help you to figure out what is wrong.