rsync --rsh not reading .ssh/config

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Nov 12 04:26:23 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:47:32PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> > > $ rsync -a --rsh="ssh -F $HOME/.ssh/config -i $HOME/.ssh/mysqldump" remotehost::
> > > unknown host: remotehost
>
> It looks like this command didn't even connect to the remote host, so
> that would explain why the access times on the ssh files didn't get
> updated.

Yes, I think you are right.

> I'd suggest looking into name server issues or something like
> that.

No, it's not a DNS issue.

   $ ssh remotehost

works -- if you look at my original post you will see how rsync on the
remote host is responding:

    $ ssh remotehost
    @RSYNCD: 28
    ^C

which tells me that .ssh/config is read and my single use key is used.

> Also, specify another -v so you can see the exact command that
> rsync is running -- you can try running that command manually, and that
> may help you to figure out what is wrong.

A -v where?  I tried that, but can't get it to generate any output.

    $ rsync -v -a --rsh="ssh -v remotehost" ::
    unknown host:

    $ rsync -v -a --rsh="ssh -v remotehost"::
    rsync version 2.4.6 Copyright Andrew Tridgell and Paul Mackerras
    [ ... rsync help trimmed ... ]

If I use the actual hostname I can see it's
not using ssh, but the rsync protocol:

    $ rsync -e ssh library9.berkeley.edu::

    $ netstat | grep -i berkeley
    tcp        0      1 server:1451             library9.Berkeley:rsync SYN_SENT

So that's the problem.  Should work, according to the help:

    $ rsync -help | grep -i rsh
     -e, --rsh=COMMAND           specify rsh replacement

So why isn't is using ssh?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org