Urgent: rsync hangs with large directories from windows

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Nov 5 17:48:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 09:32:25AM +0100, Manfred Rebentisch wrote:
> But first I want to know, if somebody knows, where the point of
> failure is.

That is not yet known.  I can't preproduce the problem locally, so I
can't debug it.  One industrious user provided some system call
information leading up to the hang, and it looked like rsync was in the
right state to continue, but nothing was happening.  The only thing we
don't know is if there was any outstanding, unflushed data in the output
buffer (which is one possible way that rsync could hang).  If that isn't
the problem, then the bug might be external to rsync.  Since rsync
doesn't hang in daemon mode, I'm leaning towards the external-to-rsync
explanation, but it might still be rsync's problem.

Any help you can provide in tracking down this problem would be much
appreciated.