cwRync and Windows permissions

Andy Evans endocrantz at excite.com
Mon May 10 13:35:26 GMT 2004

I am running a complete Cygwin environment but have the same issue.

I've been having the same trouble particularly in a workgroup environment. When running an rsync daemon on the cygwin side (including 2.6.2) it does not correctly set owner, regardless of whether the uid/gid is set in rsync.conf. Owner is always set to system, the uid of the service process. I have been testing the chmod-option.diff patch that accompanies the distribution, where I can set Dugo+rwx,Fugo+rw. This is a reasonable solution for me, but I would of course prefer that the rsync daemon work appropriately so that o+rw permissions weren't required.

I have tested this extensively with Cygwin environment ntsec/nontsec etc. and other cygwin-side options in rsyncd.conf without success. So far it has been consistent and I have seen numerous other folks with a similar issue. I am aiming to find a real solution to file ownership if I can and am very open to testing all suggestions.

Thanks,
Andy