Rsync doesn't log properly when in standalone daemon mode

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 26 17:26:18 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:17:27AM -0800, Joseph Tam wrote:
> 	[global]
> 		transfer logging= false
> 		syslog facility	= uucp

If you get rid of the [global] heading and just put those items at the
start of the file, it should work:

[...]
transfer logging= false
syslog facility	= uucp
[...]

Your config file was specifying a module named "global", and those
settings didn't affect other modules.

> On another tangential topic, why does logging on the server get controlled
> by the client?  I'd like to have the client determine the verboseness of
> their rsync output without having it also filling up server log files with
> useless details.

Improving this is on the list of future enhancements/fixes.  The current
code caps the user-supplied verboseness at 1 (so you can't get -vvvv
amounts of logging at the user's whim), but it would be better to have
the server-side logging totally under the control of the config file.