Rsync doesn't log properly when in standalone daemon mode

Joseph Tam tam at math.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 26 21:32:14 GMT 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:17:27AM -0800, Joseph Tam wrote:
> > 	[global]
> > 		transfer logging= false
> > 		syslog facility	= uucp
>
> If you get rid of the [global] heading and just put those items at the
> start of the file, it should work:
>
> [...]
> transfer logging= false
> syslog facility	= uucp
> [...]
>
> Your config file was specifying a module named "global", and those
> settings didn't affect other modules.

Thanks, Wayne.  I'll try this out.  I was under the impression that "[global]"
sets up the defaults, which all the other modules inherit, if they don't
specify something else.  That's why my "[global]" section is restrictive in
terms of access -- individual modules then turn access back on.  A sort of
default deny stance.  Now that you tell me otherwise, are there any other
parameters I should take out of the "[global]" section and into indiv. sections?

> > On another tangential topic, why does logging on the server get controlled
> > by the client?  I'd like to have the client determine the verboseness of
> > their rsync output without having it also filling up server log files with
> > useless details.
>
> Improving this is on the list of future enhancements/fixes.  The current
> code caps the user-supplied verboseness at 1 (so you can't get -vvvv
> amounts of logging at the user's whim), but it would be better to have
> the server-side logging totally under the control of the config file.

I'll look forward to that.  I couldn't configure the behaviour I wanted
out of "refuse options = verbose" since it adversely affects the client.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Joseph Tam <tam at math.ubc.ca>