Root access over ssh?

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Thu Mar 25 18:34:20 GMT 2004

There are any number of reasons you might still need or want rsync to
run as root.  For one, if you're rsyncing *to* the remote machine rather
than *from* it, you might want to preserve access times, permissions,
and ownerships - and you've got to be root on the remote system in order
to do that; otherwise you get stuck with everything being owned by you
and datestamped with the current time (which among other things will
prevent your properly being able to use datestamp at a later date to
determine which files and directories need updating when you rsync again).

You might also be planning on moving lots of users' files, which a
non-root account might not be able to access in the directories on the
remote end.

Jim Salter
JRS Systems