"file has vanished" bug [rsync-HEAD-20040127-1010GMT]

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 27 21:41:14 GMT 2004

Just ran into this bug when running the latest snapshot from CVS: when
rsyncing from two source directories into a third one, rsync gets
confused about which source file is from which directory, resulting in a
"file vanished" error.  See test script below.

Also, is there any consensus on whether using multiple source modules
when pulling from an rsync daemon is going to be ok?  I recall some
discussion on escaping spaces or quoting them in the past but I'm not
sure if anything was decided.  What I'm referring to is this case:

rsync -av rsync://server/'module1 module2 module3' dest/

Right now the latest CVS still supports this.

Thanks,

-- Alberto

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

[ -d target ] && /bin/rm -rf target
if [ ! -d one ] ; then
     mkdir one
     touch one/foo
     touch one/zoo
fi
if [ ! -d two ] ; then
     mkdir two
     touch two/bar
fi

./rsync-2.6.1 -avv one/ two/ target/
/bin/ls -l one two target
------------------------------------

[ads at localhost ~/tmp]$ ./runtest.sh
building file list ... done
created directory target
./
bar
file has vanished: "/home/ads/tmp/two/foo"
file has vanished: "/home/ads/tmp/two/zoo"

wrote 150 bytes  read 80 bytes  460.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transfered (code
24) at
main.c(628)
one:
total 0
-rw-rw-r--    1 ads      ads             0 Jan 27 16:22 foo
-rw-rw-r--    1 ads      ads             0 Jan 27 16:22 zoo

target:
total 0
-rw-rw-r--    1 ads      ads             0 Jan 27 16:22 bar

two: