open files

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Mon Feb 23 01:43:38 GMT 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 05:34:48PM -0800, Tarun Karra wrote:
> it's ok even if I have to host a rsync server on windows machine and set
> it up to backup the open files preliminarily,, The most important thing for
> me is *****backing up open files*****.

Then you should definitely look into doing that. The only reason you should
ever mount a remote Windows server is if you cannot run rsync server on it
(for whatever reason).

> what effect does SAMBA have on RSYNC if do mount and rsync the windows
> folder.

Samba has no affect. SMB does :-) The SMB file sharing protocol defintely
passes any locking issues onto the SMB client (Linux in your case) - so if
it's locked under Windows, then it's locked under Linux...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417