FAQ: Moving files between two machines using rsync

Andrew Liles andrew.liles at starfishzone.com
Mon Feb 16 21:01:36 GMT 2004

Although not an rsync expert, I think your problem is in the way you
reference the remote machine.

rsync will either work on a remote machine gaining access via a shell
(which SSH recently became the default) or will use the rsync daemon.

Firstly, your configuration steps so far have setup an rsync daemon so you
should have specified the syntax to connect to the daemon.  This is achieve
with a double colon "::" as opposed to the normal single colon.

Secondly, if you use the the rsync demon you must refer to a "module" which
in your case is "tmp" which just happens to be the same as the directory
name.  The syntax for referring to a module does not include a leading slash.

So I suggest you try the following - just 1 character different:

rsync -vz \
         --password-file=/export/home/raub/nogo \
         /export/home/raub/sync-me \
         raub at katri::tmp