ownership & ssh

Mauricio Tavares raub at afn.org
Wed Feb 18 19:54:58 GMT 2004

        Here's another easy rsync question (I am trying to make sense of
some stuff):  Let's say I have this burp file, which I set the follow
uid/gid:

raub at kushana-13>ls -l burp
-rw-r--r--   1 nobody4  noaccess   44800 Feb 18 13:07 burp
raub at kushana-14>

When I move it to katri, since it does not have those uid/gid defined, it
just spits them out as the appropriate numbers (that were used when I
created the file in kushana):

katri# ls -l /tmp/
total 45
-rw-r--r--  1 65534  60002    44800 Feb 18 13:07 burp
-rwxr-xr-x  1 raub   weirdos    508 Feb 17 10:42 sync-me*
katri#

Now, if I move burp back to kushana, I should see burps' gid and uid to be
noaccess and nobody4, respectively, right?

        A not-so-easy rsync question:  if I want to run it over ssh, what
about the password for ssh?  Do I need one?  In the examples I saw in,
say, http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/38, there was not even a mention for
the ssh user; do I have to worry about that? Save message