FAQ: Moving files between two machines using rsync

Mauricio raub at afn.org
Tue Feb 17 03:33:23 GMT 2004

At 21:01 +0000 2/16/04, Andrew Liles wrote:
>Although not an rsync expert, I think your problem is in the way you
>reference the remote machine.
>
>rsync will either work on a remote machine gaining access via a
>shell (which SSH recently became the default) or will use the rsync
>daemon.
>
>Firstly, your configuration steps so far have setup an rsync daemon
>so you should have specified the syntax to connect to the daemon.
>This is achieve with a double colon "::" as opposed to the normal
>single colon.
>
>Secondly, if you use the the rsync demon you must refer to a
>"module" which in your case is "tmp" which just happens to be the
>same as the directory name.  The syntax for referring to a module
>does not include a leading slash.
>
>So I suggest you try the following - just 1 character different:
>
>rsync -vz \
>         --password-file=/export/home/raub/nogo \
>         /export/home/raub/sync-me \
>         raub at katri::tmp

	Hello there!

	Thanks for the info on the missing character; at least now I
seem to be *almost* there:

raub at kushana-13>rsync -vz \
?         --password-file=/export/home/raub/nogo \
?         /export/home/raub/sync-me \
?         raub at katri::tmp
NetBSD 1.6.1 (GENERIC) #0: Tue Apr 8 21:00:42 UTC 2003

Welcome to NetBSD!

@ERROR: auth failed on module tmp
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (164 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
raub at kushana-14>

I still feel clueless.  Would you have another pointer for what I
should try next?  Thanks!