bugfix: indeterministic file choice from multiple sources

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Aug 25 14:59:28 GMT 2004

On Wed 25 Aug 2004, Dirk Pape wrote:
> --Am Mittwoch, 25. August 2004 10:03 Uhr +0200 schrieb Paul Slootman
> <paul at debian.org>:
>
> >What I'm wondering is why it's a problem that the same file is
> >"randomly" copied from one of a number of sources, if indeed it is the
> >same file. The resulting destination will be the same, right?
>
> No, it is not randomly (so I lied, when I said "indeterministic"), but see
> the following scenario for a command line
>
> rsync -r src1/ src2/ src3/ target/
>
> where the dirs src1, scr2 and src3 consist of files with the same relative
> patch (e.g. dir1/foo/bar and dir2/foo/bar) but with *different content*.

Ah, so you were also lying when you said that the same file existed at
more than one source; the fileNAME is the same, but the file itself is
different.

> It now depends on the names and numbers of other files in dir1 .. dir3,
> whether dir1/foo/bar or dir2/foo/bar will be copied into target/foo/bar.

I'm wondering whether this is a sane setup / config, and perhaps solved
by some other means...

In the meantime I'm curious about the relative memory usage of qsort
vs. mergesort.  I'd hate rsync's memory usage to go up again.

Paul Slootman