bugfix: indeterministic file choice from multiple sources

Dirk Pape pape at inf.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 25 12:44:03 GMT 2004

Hallo Paul,

--Am Mittwoch, 25. August 2004 10:03 Uhr +0200 schrieb Paul Slootman
<paul at debian.org>:

> What I'm wondering is why it's a problem that the same file is
> "randomly" copied from one of a number of sources, if indeed it is the
> same file. The resulting destination will be the same, right?

No, it is not randomly (so I lied, when I said "indeterministic"), but see
the following scenario for a command line

rsync -r src1/ src2/ src3/ target/

where the dirs src1, scr2 and src3 consist of files with the same relative
patch (e.g. dir1/foo/bar and dir2/foo/bar) but with *different content*.

It now depends on the names and numbers of other files in dir1 .. dir3,
whether dir1/foo/bar or dir2/foo/bar will be copied into target/foo/bar.

Dirk.