bugfix: indeterministic file choice from multiple sources

Dirk Pape pape at inf.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 26 07:10:05 GMT 2004

Hello Paul,

--Am Mittwoch, 25. August 2004 16:59 Uhr +0200 schrieb Paul Slootman
<paul at debian.org>:

> Ah, so you were also lying when you said that the same file existed at
> more than one source; the fileNAME is the same, but the file itself is
> different.

I would prefer to say that I was mistaking (tough I committed one "ly"
before), yes sorry.

> I'm wondering whether this is a sane setup / config, and perhaps solved
> by some other means...

we use rsync for a task where it is essential to commit from which of many
sources the file will be copied (mainly overlaying a filesystem tree from
many sources where some sources rule over others).

With our patch here rsync is *the tool* for this task, without it fails to
be reliable for this task.

Dirk.