Syncing with --files-from

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Aug 19 16:51:05 GMT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 06:26:06PM +0200, David E. Meier wrote:
> I assume rsync sets "--files-from=-" because it is not able to find the
> file on the remote side.

No, it sends that option to the remote side because you're pulling data
and it has to pass the requested file list to the remote sender (that
option is telling the server to expect the list of files over the
socket).

> rsync: on remote machine: --files-from=-: unknown option

Note the above error -- it didn't say anything about not finding a file,
it said "unknown option".  This means that the remote rsync needs to be
upgraded if you want to use --files-from.