cp -al issues

Max Kipness mkipness at geniant.com
Tue Apr 13 16:36:09 GMT 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:18:53AM -0500, Max Kipness wrote:
>> It seems there may be links breaking or something.

>As I would expect -- all the files that get updated become uniquely
linked.  Without that, you wouldn't have any backups in >the older dirs.

Thanks for the explanation Wayne.

I think I understand now that it doesn't matter which directories are
seen as holding more than others. However the total for all the
directories should still be accurate, right? Well as of last night the
total has now jumped 9GB. Am I to assume that there was 9GB worth of
changes in one day? I guess it's possible, even though it seems unusual
based on my knowledge of  how this data is being used. Is there anything
else that could cause this sudden increase?

Thanks,
Max

[root at gfi backup]# du --max-depth=1 -h
37G     ./Current
1.4G    ./04-08-2004
26M     ./04-09-2004
38G     .

[root at gfi backup]# du --max-depth=1 -h
29G     ./Current
9.1G    ./04-08-2004
211M    ./04-09-2004
26M     ./04-10-2004
39G     .

[root at gfi backup]# du --max-depth=1 -h
37G     ./Current
9.2G    ./04-08-2004
838M    ./04-09-2004
26M     ./04-10-2004