AW: trying to figure out how the --delete option works.

Mandrake Pe mandrake_pe at yahoo.se
Thu Oct 30 01:19:53 EST 2003

Thank you for your answer, but i'ts not about the excluded files. Sorry if I
was unclear about that.

This is what the man rsync says about the delete option:

"--delete  This  tells rsync to delete any files on the receiving side that
               aren´t on the sending  side."
               (This is exactly what I want it to do)

              " Files  that  are  excluded  from
               transfer   are  excluded  from  being  deleted  unless
               you      use
              ‐‐delete‐excluded."
              (I dont need this option yet)

             "This  option  has  no  effect  if  directory  recursion  is  not
              selected."
              (I really dont know what this means. Perhaps this is where my
              comand fails?)

              "This  option can be dangerous if used incorrectly!  It is a
              very good idea to run first using the dry run option (‐n) to see
              what files  would  be  deleted  to  make  sure important files
              aren´t listed."

             " If the sending side detects any IO errors then the  deletion
of
              any  files  at  the  destination will be automatically disabled.
              This is to prevent temporary filesystem failures  (such  as  NFS
              errors)  on the sending side causing a massive deletion of files
              on the destination.  You can override this  with  the  ‐‐ignor"

                /Pedro