AW: trying to figure out how the --delete option works.

beers at xs4all.nl beers at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 30 01:42:30 EST 2003

>              "This  option  has  no  effect  if  directory  recursion  is
> not
>               selected."
>               (I really dont know what this means. Perhaps this is where
> my
>               comand fails?)

from the man:
--recursive
    This tells rsync to copy directories recursively. If you don't specify
this then rsync won't copy directories at all.

Your command below does not include --recursive. Are you just copying the
files in / ? (Seems unlikely you want to skip all subdirs)

Perhaps previously you DID rsync --recursive, and created the subdirs with
content in the destination.

Now you are not, and as such will not touch the subdirs on source, AND on
destination.

>> I use this comand to back up my entirely drive to a second drive.
>> Because
>> the second drive is smaller I have excluded my movies directory. I also
>> excluded the /mnt/ diectory, becous I dont want to back up the backup.
>> This
>> part works just fine.

I doubt that, as you not use rsync --recursive.

>> Here is the comand I use:
>> rsync -av --exclude "/**/movies/" --exclude "/mnt/" --delete /
>> /mnt/backup/backup
>>

>>     /Pedro

lastly, try using --verbose --verbose to get some more logging in the
rsync log file as specified in the rsyncd.conf. It will show -per file-
what it is doing. Also, perhaps your version info may be important, please
include that.

Im no rsync guru, but Ive been playing with it a few weeks now... If im
wrong, by all means, someone correct me.

Gr Richard