simple compile

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Oct 28 11:32:45 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:39:37PM -0800, Tom Holton wrote:
>
>>I could not find this question anywhere, but I apologize if it is and I
>>just missed it.
>>
>>Running an Alpha, OSF1 V5.1 1885
>>
>>configure went fine.
>>
>>compile failed:
>>

>>See no documentation about EAI_MAX
>>
>>And, looking in the code, indeed, EAI_MAX (et. al.) are not defined
>>anywhere!
>

> It is defined in lib/addrinfo.h and included from rsync.h

For DECC on OpenVMS, the symbol EAI_ADDRFAMILY is defined in netdb.h,
and if netdb.h gets included before lib/addrinfo.h, then lib/addrinfo.h
will not define those symbols.

This may be the same for OSF1 on Alpha.

>>How should I handle this?

I do not know for OSF1 on Alpha.

But now that you know what is happening, maybe you can figure out a
workaround.

For OpenVMS, I have the program that generates config.h put in the
config.h file a #include "vms_config.h".  In the vms_config.h I put all
the manual fixups.

In the vms_config.h I put the missing definitions for the EIA symbols
that were compatable with the existing EIA symbols supplied by the
operating system.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only