2.5.6: a number of minor issues

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Oct 9 04:30:03 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:48:45AM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:03:55AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > I just picked up rsync 2.5.6 and installed it.  I haven't actually
> > _used_ it for anything yet; this is entirely about a handful of minor
> > issues I noticed while building it.  You may care or you may not; for
> > simplicity of language (to avoid many repeated "in case you care" and
> > such), the text below is written assuming you care about them all.
> >
> > On a (32-bit) SPARC system, I noticed:
> >
> > The code prints size_t values with %d.  This is always wrong with
> > respect to signedness and often wrong with respect to size.
> >
> > Several routines have unused arguments with, in most cases, no obvious
> > reason for their presence.
> >
> > Here are patches to fix the printf mistakes and shut the compiler
> > warnings up about the unused arguments.
>
> Thanks but 2.5.6 was released many months ago and there have
> been numerous code changes (including compiler warning
> cleanups) since.

I've received an email from a third party who didn't care
for my having "blown off" the offer to help.  In case others
have drawn the same impression from my response i will
clarify.

Cleanup patches are much appreciated and are a good way for
someone to start working on the codebase or even just make a
one-shot contribution to code quality.  However, such
patches must require minimal effort to apply.  This
particular patch set (yes i glanced through it) had changes
to lines of code i knew were no longer present or had had
other changes.

If anyone wishes to contribute such assistance (again, much
appreciated) it really needs to be against an up-to-date
checkout from CVS otherwise it takes as much or more work to
accept the patch as it did to create it.

-- jw, more brusque than arrogant.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt