synchronisation in multiple directions.

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Nov 15 05:41:06 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:02:47PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> That part shouldn't be that hard to do, but what also should happen is
> that if a file is deleted or added on one site it should get removed
> or added on the sites too.  And afaik, I can't currently do that with
> rsync.

That's what "unison" is made to do -- it synchronizes changes between
two systems (at a time), propagating changing in both directions.  Using
it you can either syncronize everyone to a master system, or you can use
a daisy-chain in a circular run of multiple systems (e.g. A syncs with
B, B syncs with C, C syncs with A).  Unison uses the rsync algorithm to
transfer its files, so it's network-efficient like rsync.

Alternately, use a distributed file system, such as AFS or SFS.