Starting rsync --daemon over an ssh connection

John Reuning john at metalab.unc.edu
Mon May 26 08:51:31 EST 2003

There's lots of information on running an rsync session over ssh, but
I'm having trouble getting it to not work.  I'm trying to execute `rsync
--daemon` to start up an rsync server on multiple systems via ssh
connections.  The init script works fine when I'm logged into one of the
systems but not when I do a batch job over ssh.  It always sets up an
rsync-over-ssh session and spits out the motd text.

I'm using openssh 3.1p1, RedHat Linux 7.2, and rsync 2.5.6.  Any
suggestions?

Many thanks,

-John R.