Rsync snapshots problem.

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Mar 25 14:43:03 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:30:09PM +1200, Warren Mannington wrote:
> Hello
>
> I probably didn't  provide enough details before.
>
> The problem is that rsync will delete files from the backup that exist on the mounted samba source.
> (the files it deletes seem somewhat random, sometimes just one or two files are deleted, other times a whole directory is taken out).
> If rsync is called shortly afterwards the files are retrieved from the source (but occasionally other files are deleted at this time)
>
> The linux host is Redhat 6.2
> Rsync is version 2.4.6 (not the default one in redhat, one which I downloaded and built)
                     ^
I trust that is a typo.

> Samba version is 2.0.7 (but I have tried it on 2.2.3a and the problem still exists)
> Machine I am trying to backup is Windows 2000 SP3 and the drive is NTFS format.
> The Windows Share is mounted using SMB mount as a read only drive (is this a problem does rsync need write access to source?)
>
> This is my shell script, (a striped down version of the one I use to generate incremental backups).

It sounds like some strange samba filename handling to me
but it has been a while since i used samba much.

Why are you using samba or smbfs at all?  Rsync is terribly
inefficient on a network mounted filesystem.  Install rsync
on the MS-Windows (now i have to wash my hands with soap)
machine.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt