Rsync snapshots problem.

Warren Mannington w.mannington at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 25 14:58:33 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "jw schultz" <jw at pegasys.ws>
To: <rsync at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: Rsync snapshots problem.

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:30:09PM +1200, Warren Mannington wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I probably didn't  provide enough details before.
> >
> > The problem is that rsync will delete files from the backup that exist
on the mounted samba source.
> > (the files it deletes seem somewhat random, sometimes just one or two
files are deleted, other times a whole directory is taken out).
> > If rsync is called shortly afterwards the files are retrieved from the
source (but occasionally other files are deleted at this time)

> > The linux host is Redhat 6.2
> > Rsync is version 2.4.6 (not the default one in redhat, one which I
downloaded and built)
>                      ^
> I trust that is a typo.

Yes sorry it is a typo, I meant 2.5.6 (i was looking at the default version
number, not the one that I had installed)

> > Samba version is 2.0.7 (but I have tried it on 2.2.3a and the problem
still exists)
> > Machine I am trying to backup is Windows 2000 SP3 and the drive is NTFS
format.
> > The Windows Share is mounted using SMB mount as a read only drive (is
this a problem does rsync need write access to source?)

> > This is my shell script, (a striped down version of the one I use to
generate incremental backups).

> It sounds like some strange samba filename handling to me
> but it has been a while since i used samba much.
>
> Why are you using samba or smbfs at all?  Rsync is terribly
> inefficient on a network mounted filesystem.  Install rsync
> on the MS-Windows (now i have to wash my hands with soap)
> machine.

Fair enough I will give rsync on windows a go.  I am not a fan of MS myself,
but that's what I have to use for work.