Rsync snapshots problem.

Warren Mannington w.mannington at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 25 14:30:09 EST 2003

Hello

I probably didn't  provide enough details before.

The problem is that rsync will delete files from the backup that exist on the mounted samba source.
(the files it deletes seem somewhat random, sometimes just one or two files are deleted, other times a whole directory is taken out).
If rsync is called shortly afterwards the files are retrieved from the source (but occasionally other files are deleted at this time)

The linux host is Redhat 6.2
Rsync is version 2.4.6 (not the default one in redhat, one which I downloaded and built)
Samba version is 2.0.7 (but I have tried it on 2.2.3a and the problem still exists)
Machine I am trying to backup is Windows 2000 SP3 and the drive is NTFS format.
The Windows Share is mounted using SMB mount as a read only drive (is this a problem does rsync need write access to source?)

This is my shell script, (a striped down version of the one I use to generate incremental backups).

#!/bin/bash2
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# ------------- system commands used by this script --------------------
ID=/usr/bin/id;
ECHO=/bin/echo;
MOUNT=/usr/bin/smbmount;
UMOUNT=/usr/bin/smbumount;
RM=/bin/rm;
MV=/bin/mv;
CP=/bin/cp;
TOUCH=/bin/touch;
RSYNC=/geothermal/mannington/rsync_backup/rsync;
TAIL=/usr/bin/tail;
SED=/bin/sed;

# ------------- file locations -----------------------------------------

share=//esp42/DDrive;
smbmount=/esp42/D-Drive;
src=$smbmount/;
dest=/geothermal/mannington/backup/D-Drive;
excludefile=/geothermal/mannington/rsync_backup/rsync.exclude;

[ -z "$1" ] && $ECHO syntax is: $0 daily weekly monthly && exit 1
type=$1 # daily, weekly, monthly

umask 077;

if [ "$type" == "daily" ]; then
 $MOUNT $share $smbmount -o username=rsync,password=isaac148,workgroup=esp42,ro,fmask=700,dmask=700,suid;
 if (( $? )); then
  $ECHO "rsync_backup: could not smbmount $smbmount, BACKUP NOT COMPLETE 'date'";
 else
  $RSYNC -Wva --delete --delete-excluded --exclude-from=$excludefile --modify-window=10 $src $dest/$type.1/
  if (( $? )); then
   $ECHO "rsync_backup: rsync was NOT completed successfully"
  else
   $ECHO "rsync_backup: rsync completed successfully"
  fi
  $UMOUNT $smbmount;
  if (( $? )); then
   $ECHO "rsync_backup: could not smbumount $smbmount";
  fi;
 fi;
fi;

The exclude file is as follows:

*.$$$
*.mp3
*.MP3
*.listing
*.LISTING
*.o
*.O
*.obj
*.OBJ
*~
*.msg
*.MSG
*.par
*.PAR
*.tec
*.TEC
pagefile.sys
System Volume Information/
RECYCLER/
MP3/
WinFast WorkArea/
gener.data
GENER.DATA
lineq.data
LINEQ.DATA
mesh.data
MESH.DATA
table.data
TABLE.DATA
vers.data
VERS.DATA
*.bkcnrt
*.BKCNRT
*.error
*.ERROR
CD-R/
*.tmp
*.TMP
*.tmp/
*.TMP/
*.iso
*.ISO
*.nrg
*.NRG

If you need any more information please let me know.  I am happy to help in anyway I can in fixing this problem.

Regards

Warren Mannington