Offsite server replication solution via Internet

bart.coninckx at sita.be bart.coninckx at sita.be
Thu Mar 20 20:17:45 EST 2003

Novell integrated Rsync in their "BOMA" product, part of the Nterprise
bundle. We just use the NLM on our 35 remote Netware 5.1 servers and rsync
daily all cahnged files to a central Linux server from which we backup. 700
GB is synchronized daily like this. Works flawlessly.

Kind regards,

Bart Coninckx
Network Administrator
CNE, ASE
*************************************
Sita ICT Services
Lilsedijk 19
B-2340 Beerse
Belgium

e-mail: bart.coninckx at sita.be
Tel: + 32 (0) 14 62 28 22
Fax: + 32 (0) 14 62 41 47
*************************************

                    Splash <splash at softhelp.net>
                    Sent by:                                          To:     rsync at lists.samba.org
                    rsync-bounces+bart.coninckx=watco.be at lists        cc:
                    .samba.org                                        Subject:     Offsite server replication solution via Internet

                    19/03/2003 23:25

Hi
Some of our smaller Central London clients (5 to 25 terminals), who use the
NetWare & GroupWise software from Novell Small Business Suite 6, are
becoming increasingly concerned about the possibility of their offices
becoming inaccessible for a prolonged period in the event of a terrorist
attack.
We've been asked to provide a low cost solution consisting of replicated
offsite servers to cater for this eventuality.
In the event of a crisis, key office personnel would be able to access
their NetWare data and GroupWise email etc. from home, by accessing their
backup server situated in a safe rural location.
The current solution relies on the backup server being situated at
somebody's home and being restored from an office backup tape.
This is rather clumsy, to say the least.
We are looking for a software solution to update the remote server with any
changes made to the primary server, via the Internet.
Is Rsync the right product for the job ?
If so, any advice on installation & configuration would be much appreciated