problems with rsync in cygwin

Jim Gallagher jmgallag at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 17:37:33 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to set up rsync, with the transfers originating from a Win2K box
and going to a Linux box. Both boxes are on my home LAN, so ssh is not
required; I thought I would simply use the rsync protocol. I set up xinetd on
my Linux box to start a rsync server when needed. My first attempts at a test
run failed like so:

$ rsync -a /cygdrive/c/installs/palm rsync://192.168.2.3/palm
rsync: Unknown Host
rsh.exe: can't establish connection          <========== ???????
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.5/i
o.c(162)

I thought the docs said that rsync protocol would be used if I used the
rsync:// URL. It still wants to use rsh. I'm using rsync version 2.5.5 under
Cygwin.

So, I reread the man page and found the RSYNC_RSH environment variable could
be used to specify the protocol, so I set it like so: RSYNC_RSH=rsync and
tried again. The first error is gone, only to be replaced with another:

$ rsync -vva /cygdrive/c/installs/palm rsync://192.168.2.3/palm
opening connection using rsync rsync rsync --server -vvlogDtpr .
//192.168.2.3/palm
building file list ...
expand file_list to 4000 bytes, did move
done
push_dir rsync : No such file or directory (4)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.5/main.c(468)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.5/io.c(150)

What should I look at next?

Thanks,

Jim Gallagher