rsync over nfs

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Mar 18 16:38:48 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:16:13AM +0300, Al-Abdulhadi, Bashar wrote:
> 	I have rsync process which is a crontab job:
> 0 0-23 * * * /bin/rsync -rvg /net/server1/local/filesys1/userhomedir/project_dir /local/filesys1/userhomedir/project_dir
> which sync the user project dir on localsystem from another machine called server1 via nfs, but the weird thing its coping all files every time it syncs am I using the wrong flags? is it possible to copy only the new/changed file or that's a problem using nfs?

Do you mean that it is reading every file or that it is
actually copying them?  It could be the fault of the NFS
server or the client.  Many people use rsync on NFS mounted
dirs without problems.  It is better to run on local dirs
but some NFS servers don't have the resources to support
rsync.  If you must rsync on a NFS mount use the
--whole-file option.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt