Help using --exclude

Scott Sewall sewall at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 29 06:21:38 EST 2003

I'm running rsync v2.5.5 on FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE.

I'm using rsync to mirror the home directories of user's desktop
machines.  I would like to
exclude the cache of browsers such as mozilla or netscape.
 Unfortunately I have not been
able to find the right syntax for the --exclude option. I hope someone
can give me some
insight.

The command I'm using is:
rsync --archive --cvs-exclude --exclude=.mozilla/**/Cache/  --exclude
*.core --numeric-ids --relative --verbose /export/home/erin
isengard::shadowfax

An example of a file that I would like to exlcude is:

/export/home/erin/.mozilla/default/4lizkxa3.slt/Cache/00FBBBF2d01

My hope was the exclude pattern .mozilla/**/Cache/ would prevent the
Cache directory and
all files within it from being copied. However, this is not the case and
all files in the directory
are being transfered.

You're help is greatly appreciated.

-- Scott