Help using --exclude

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jul 29 06:31:41 EST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:21:38PM -0700, Scott Sewall wrote:
> My hope was the exclude pattern .mozilla/**/Cache/ would prevent the
> Cache directory and all files within it from being copied.

This fails in the released versions of rsync due to a bug in the exclude
code (though the CVS version has this fixed already).  You can work
around this bug in a number of ways, for instance, using this:

    --exclude=/*/.mozilla/**/Cache/

or this:

    --exclude=Cache/

This latter version would also exclude a "Cache" dir outsize of the
.mozilla dir, which might not be acceptable to you.