@ERROR access denied

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Jul 8 07:27:07 EST 2003

Hi Hardy:

Well that seemed to do something. See my comments below.

Thanks, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

From: Hardy Merrill Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 12:38

> 1) First, comment out both 'hosts allow' and 'auth users',
> save it, kill and restart the rsync daemon, and try your
> rsync again.  Hopefully that will work.

This made a small difference. The client no reports:

    building file list ... done
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so far)
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
                 io.c(150)

The server log shows:

    2003/07/07 14:08:48 [3817] rsync to bak/ from pgiprd.forsoft.com
                          (192.168.2.19)

And there is now a core file in the /bak directory.

> 2) Uncomment the 'hosts allow' line, save, kill and
> restart daemon, and try rsync again - you will probably
> get the same error you had before.  Your hosts allow line
> looked like this:
>
>   hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd

Back to the original messages.

> 3) Now, change the values of that hosts allow to be complete
> domain names, like 'fisdev.your.domain.com' and
> 'pgiprd.your.domain.com' and see if that works now.
>
> If you're not sure what the correct domain name is, on the
> rsync server machine (this works on linux - not sure about
> sco), do 'host fisdev' and see what it spits back.
>
> According to 'man rsyncd.conf', you can use dotted quad ip
> addresses, host names as determined by reverse dns, and
> a few other things.

FQDN or IP address results in same messages as 1).

> 4) Once you have 'hosts allow' working ok, then move on to
> 'auth users' - my thought is that that will go smoothly once
> the 'hosts allow' works right.

Since I did not get "hosts allow" working, I did not try anything
with "auth users". - HEC

> Again, please post your results.
>
> --
> Hardy Merrill