@ERROR access denied

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Jul 8 05:02:23 EST 2003

Hi Hardy:

Nice catch - I missed that one when I reviewed the man page.
Unfortunately it made no difference. I have also tried moving
the module params from the global section to the module section
but that also made no difference - exactly same messages.

Just to keep things straight, here is my latest rsyncd.conf:

<-----------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Global parameters:
#
#motd file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.motd
log file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.log
pid file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.pid
#syslog facility= daemon
#socket options	=

#
# Default values for module paramaters:
#
#use chroot	= no
#max connections	= 0
#lock file	= /var/rsync/rsyncd.lock
#read only	= no
#list		= yes
#uid		= 300
#gid		= 200
#hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd
#auth users	= root hugh

#
# Module "BAK":
#
[bak]
comment		= Default remote backup repository
path		= /bak
read only	= no
uid		= 300
gid		= 200
hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd
auth users	= root hugh
----------------------------------------------------------------->

Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Hugh

From: Hardy Merrill Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 11:30

> Hugh, I did a quick test with 2.5.5, and here's what made it
> work for me - the 'read only' parameter.  Here's my daemon
> /etc/rsyncd.conf file:
>
> log file = /var/log/rsync
> # this is a comment
> [rsync-test]
>         uid=test
>         gid=test
>         read only=no
>         path=/test_rsync
>
> it didn't work until I added the 'read only=no'.  Here's a
> blurb from the rsync manpage:
>
>     read only
>            The "read only" option determines whether clients
>            will  be  able to  upload  files  or  not.  If
>            "read  only"  is  true then any attempted uploads
>            will  fail.  If  "read  only"  is  false  then
>            uploads will be possible if file permissions on
>            the server allow them. The default is for all modules
>            to be read only.
>
> Give that a try and post back your results.
>
> HTH.
> --
> Hardy Merrill
> Red Hat, Inc.