Rsync and windows

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jan 8 18:46:01 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 05:16:21PM +0100, Oliver Krehan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem syncronizing a windows machine with a linux box.
> I want to backup the "My Documents" folder. Therefore I burned the data
> on a cdrom because the windows pc is only connected over a slow wan
> connection to the linux box. When I copy the data to the users home
> directory (using samba and another windows pc) and run the rsync program
> all the files are copied once more. I made some tests and changed the
> ownership and the also the file permissions for the copied data on the
> linux box but still rsync wants to transfer all the data, even if they
> look exactly the same after the transfer. If I use rsync to copy the
> data for the first time everything works fine.
>
> On the windows machine (Win2000 SP3) I run rsync 2.5.1 protocol version
> 25 in a cygwin environement. The linux box runs RedHat 7.3 with rsync
> version 2.5.5 protocol version 26. The connections runs for security
> reasons over a ssh tunnel.
>
> Is there a simple way to burn windows data on a cdrom, then to the right
> directory on the linux machine and run rsync without transfering the
> whole data once again ?

You've not shown your rsync commands nor how the CD was
burned, nor how you mounted and copied the CD.  Using the CD
you probably lost all metadata. In particular, you lost the
modification times.

Although rsync is reporting transferring all the files,
unless you are messing up the trees it should be just
syncing all the files.  That means it isn't actually
transferring the data, just doing the rsync's magic to
confirm the file is unchanged.

You would have better luck if you used tar or another
archive tool to create a file (preserving mod-times) to burn
and then extract that archive to the destination.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt