Update to Current Issues; http://rsync.samba.org/issues.html

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Fri Sep 27 18:45:01 EST 2002

Hi.

I read this from the Current Issues:

   1.  Q: Transfers die with something like

       rsync: error writing 4 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
       rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at ../src/io.c(463)

       A: Sometimes fatal error messages from the remote machine can be
       lost on the way to the client; you should investigate on the
       server for something stopping the transmission. The most common
       cause is that the destination disk is full.

I was able to reproduce this error, but it was not because the disk was
full.  In fact, I only realized what it was when I ran rsync from a
different host (ie. different version of rsync):

  ERROR: module is read only
  rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(455)
  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so far)
  rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)

Aha!  Adding "read only = false" fixed it.

rsync 2.5.5 did not report this as a read only problem, 2.5.6 did.  If
many people are having this problem, perhaps it would be advisable to
update the current issues.

Erik Enge
Software Engineer
Professional Reviews Inc.